For thousands of years, farmers threshed the grain by hand using fails to separate the grain from the husks. In 1784, Andrew Meikle from East Lothian in Scotland invented the first successful threshing machine. Machines know as ground hog threshers were used in Ontario in around 1870. Roy Rogers from Loyalist Township, Ontario, demonstrates threshing oats with his circa 1870 ground hog threshing machine built by the Desjardins Company of Saint-André-de-Kamouraska. He was at the 2012 Hastings County Farm Show and Plowing Match. He is a member of the Quinte Antique Tractor Club, which is based at Farmtown Park: home of the Hastings County Museum of Agricultural Heritage.